Portugal is one of the most visited countries in Europe. Its geography ranges from mountains and vineyards to farmland and medieval villages to pristine beaches.
With an ideal climate, relatively low travel costs, and a wide array of tourist attractions, it is easy to see why it is among the most popular vacation destinations in the world. A list of the best places to visit in Portugal may help you in deciding where to begin, but chances are, if you go, you will never want your journey to end.
1. The Baixa is the heart of city life in Lisbon. It is home to some of the oldest and most traditional shops, theaters, and cafes in the country.
PHOTO by: Nuno Duarte
2. Porto is infamous around the world for its fine port wine production. The city itself holds its beautiful place on the river and hosts a number of vendors, cafes, restaurants, and live music venues.
PHOTO by: JAIRO BD
3. Madeira, otherwise known as the “floating garden of the Atlantic,” is a beautiful and lush oasis separating Portugal from North Africa. It is home to some of the most historic tourist resorts, churches, and fortresses, and should be at the top of everyone’s list of places to visit in Portugal.
PHOTO by: Mal B
4. Algarve dates back to Roman times and still holds fortresses and neighborhoods as old as the city itself. History merges with modern times here where you can find some of the most beautiful beaches and world-renown golf courses, as well.
5. Obidos is bursting with history. The city is surrounded by an ancient, fortified wall and its streets are a labyrinth of cobblestone. The main attraction of this city is the medieval castle nestled in the historic center of one of the most classic places to visit in Portugal.
PHOTO by: roger4336
There are so many fantastic places to visit in Portugal where you can feel the magic of this gorgeous country as history comes to life, merging with modernity and entertainment.